Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Sutton Common Rovers app


First - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Chertsey Town
Sutton Common Rovers
Full time
A White (35' Sent Off), D Cooper-Smith (69' Pen), L Holden (77')
Sat 23 Dec 15:00 - The Cherry Red Records Combined Counties Football League 1 - Premier Division

First's dig deep to pick up three points

The first team bounced back from defeat away at promotion rival Bedfont Sports, by picking up a hard-fought 2-1 win at Chertsey Town on Saturday.

Goals from Daryl Cooper-Smith and Liam Holden gave the lads the points in a game full of incident.

We started brightly, and good work by Matt Ferdinando saw us force a corner in the opening minute, but the delivery was wasted. We continued to hold the upper hand, but there was very little to get the crowd excited about in the opening ten minutes.

Daryl Cooper-Smith fired wide on the right hand post on eleven minutes, after good link up between Asa Rixon and Ferdinando, and it was Ferdinando who almost latched onto a through ball after keeper Tom Bryant hesitated but was just unable to create a chance.

Chertsey almost took the lead on their first real attack, Dan Price split our backline and Michael Ogbougu raced clear, and was only denied by an excellent save by Michael Eacott. A minute later and Eacott was pulled up for handling a dropkick just outside his area, and from the resultant free kick, Kalan North fired over the bar.

Ferdinando rounded Bryant on 18 minutes after being released by Cooper-Smith, but his effort from a tight angle went off for a goalkick. Two minutes later and Chertsey took the lead. A long clearance by Bryant found Price who in turn released Ogbougu and this time he calmly fired beyond Eacott for 1-0.

North found his way into the book for putting his head towards Matt Tanton, in a decision which would come back to infuriate the SCR management later in the game.

We received our first blow on 26 minutes when Ferdinando went down injured and had to be replaced by Craig Nelon. Cooper-Smith was then denied by a stunning tackle by Joe Blendell as he looked poised to level on 27 minutes.

Price then bought a great save out of Eacott on 37 minutes, and almost immediately Andrew White saw red for a headbutt on Dan Price.

Chertsey looked for the killer second goal, and were almost rewarded on 43 minutes, when Ogbougu looked to get clear, but under pressure from Aaron Bogle and Craig Hasting his shot was comfortable for Eacott, and Jeff Addo-Dankwa was able to clear.

Scores should have been level on the stroke of half time when a ball into the area by Tanton was headed down by Nelson, and fired over by Rixon.

We started brightly in the second half, and Matt Auletta almost fashioned a chance a couple of minutes in, but having weaved passed a couple of players he could only find the side-netting.

Chertsey replaced Jamie Ross with Bekele Mukudi on 48 minutes, and six minutes into the half we made our second change with Addo-Dankwa succumbing to injury and being replaced by Liam Holden.

Hastings found his way into the book on 53 minutes for bringing down Ogbougu and on 56 minutes Eacott did well to save a low shot by Joe Adoo-Peters and back at the other end Cooper-Smith almost created a chance but was crowded out by the Chertsey defence.

On the hour Ogbougu got free again, squared to Mukudi but Nelson got a vital toe in to prevent a simple tap in, and shortly after Ogbougu fired wide when well placed. Joe Jones found his way into the book for a poor foul on Rixon.

Blendell went into the book for a foul on Holden on 65 minutes, and at the other end a poor challenge by Bogle on Mukudi saw him also go into the book. From the free kick, Lewis Taylor drove the ball through the wall but Eacott made another excellent save.

With just over twenty minutes remaining, Darren Salmon rolled the dice, removing Matt Tanton and giving the lively Malachi Thomas his debut. The change paid dividends instantly with Thomas driving into the area, sucking Ben Geraghty into a challenge, and seeing the official point to the spot.

From the kick, Cooper-Smith sent Bryant the wrong way to level up the scores. We now had our tails up and were pushing for the winning goal, but that left us liable to the counter and almost paid a few minutes later when Joel Thompson almost found North but he had timed the run badly and was caught offside.

Cooper-Smith and Thomas linked up on 75 minutes but the final shot by Thomas hit the side-netting. We took the lead on 77 minutes, when a Nelson ball was almost intercepted by Blendell but his deflection took the ball perfectly into the path of Holden, and with the home support screaming for offside, he rounded Bryant to fire home. A minute later and it should have been 3-1, but Cooper-Smith saw his header from an Auletta cross comfortably gathered by Bryant.

Ten minutes from time, and Farrell dallied in possession and only gifted possession to Thompson, he looked for all the world as if he must score, but Bogle appeared from nowhere to make a superb challenge.

Back at the other end and after neat work by Cooper-Smith, Thomas was just unable to divert the ball goalwards. There was still time for one last chance for Chertsey and from Mukudi's low cross, Price somehow turned the ball wide, and we had secured the points.

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Asa Rixon

Player of the Match

Asa Rixon

Key moments

Red Card Andrew White is sent off for Sutton Common Rovers
Scored Penalty Daryl Cooper-Smith scores a penalty for Sutton Common Rovers
Goal Liam Holden scores for Sutton Common Rovers


View 0 new events
91:00 Player of the Match
Asa Rixon is awarded player of the match for Sutton Common Rovers
77:00 Goal 0 - 2
Liam Holden scores for Sutton Common Rovers
77:00 Assist
Craig Nelson makes an assist for Sutton Common Rovers
69:00 Scored Penalty 0 - 1
Daryl Cooper-Smith scores a penalty for Sutton Common Rovers
67:00 Sub Off
Matt Tanton is substituted off for Sutton Common Rovers
67:00 Sub On
Malachi Thomas is substituted on for Sutton Common Rovers
65:00 Yellow Card
Aaron Bogle is yellow carded for Sutton Common Rovers
53:00 Yellow Card
Craig Hastings is yellow carded for Sutton Common Rovers
51:00 Sub On
Liam Holden is substituted on for Sutton Common Rovers
51:00 Sub Off
Jeffrey Addo-Dankwa is substituted off for Sutton Common Rovers
End of period 1
35:00 Red Card 0 - 0
Andrew White is sent off for Sutton Common Rovers
24:00 Sub On
Craig Nelson is substituted on for Sutton Common Rovers
24:00 Sub Off
Matt Ferdinando is substituted off for Sutton Common Rovers
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Chertsey Town
  • Sutton Common Rovers
  • 0
  • Craig Nelson Sub On 24:00'
  • Matt Ferdinando Sub Off 24:00'
  • Andrew White Red Card 35:00'
  • Liam Holden Sub On 51:00'
  • Jeffrey Addo-Dankwa Sub Off 51:00'
  • Craig Hastings Yellow Card 53:00'
  • Aaron Bogle Yellow Card 65:00'
  • Matt Tanton Sub Off 67:00'
  • Malachi Thomas Sub On 67:00'
  • Daryl Cooper-Smith Scored Penalty 69:00'
  • Craig Nelson Assist 77:00'
  • Liam Holden Goal 77:00'

Team selection

Eacott, Michael Eacott, Michael
Addo-Dankwa, Jeffrey Addo-Dankwa, Jeffrey
Tanton, Matt Tanton, Matt
Ferdinando, Matt Ferdinando, Matt
Bogle, Aaron Bogle, Aaron
Hastings, Craig Hastings, Craig
Auletta, Matt Auletta, Matt
Rixon, Asa Rixon, Asa
Farrell, Matt Farrell, Matt
Cooper-Smith, Daryl Cooper-Smith, Daryl
White, Andrew White, Andrew

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Guildford City
Banstead Athletic
Godalming Town
North Greenford United
Hanworth Villa
Camberley Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Westfield 42 106
2. Bedfont Sports 42 93
3. Sutton Common Rovers 42 87
4. Walton & Hersham 42 84
5. Balham 42 75
6. Redhill 42 65
7. Camberley Town 42 65

Team sponsors


Club sponsors