Sutton Common Rovers FC History

Chairman and Life President Alan Salmon founded SCR F.C in 1978, when the club began life as INRAD FC, based in Carshalton. The club entered a new era when Alan moved to Sutton and arranged sponsorship with his new neighbour, CENTRE 21 FC was born. This era saw the club running one Saturday side, three Sunday sides and three Youth sides. Centre 21's sponsorship continued until the club's youth players were no longer under 21 years old.

The club again sought new a identity, SUTTON COMMON ROAD FC was formed and subsequently abbreviated to SCR FC. Since then the club has had five major sponsors whose names have been incorporated into the clubs affiliated name: SCR PLOUGH (twice), SCR GRAPES, next the club's longest sponsor SCR LITTEN TREE (7 years) & finally SCR Kingfisher, Ewell with whom we started our venture in Saturday football in 2004/05 until the then landlord Andy Coxs' departure.

It was at this point that the club took the decision to revert back to using the SCR name alone, feeling that as they strove for continued promotion they needed to disassociate ourselves with the pub team image. That said the club did take sponsorship form the Fox & Hounds public house in Carshalton for the Sat first team in 2006/07, but the decision was made that the pub name would not be incorporated into the affiliated name, for the above reason.

The start of the 07/08 season saw the club running three Saturday sides, with Darren Salmon in charge of the 1st team (newly moved to the Middlesex County League) after an unsuccessful attempt at promotion from the Surrey South East Combination (finished 3rd on goal difference by 1 goal). This also saw a name change to Sutton Common Rovers.

The side also operated two teams in the Surrey South East Combination (the 2nd team under the leadership of first Harry Barrett and then a joint management team of John Waddingham and Ben Jeffcoate. The third team was run by Alex Avis and Tony Williams.

During this shake up several additional changes took place in 2007/8 season, Alex moved in a new temporary role as 1st team assistant, alongside Darren. The youngest Salmon, Justin, alongside Dave Newbury took over the running of the Sunday first team, with Stephen Snowdon and Alan Reed in charge of the Sunday Reserves.

A third place finish in the Middlesex County League Premier division in 07/08 meant that the clubs promotion to the CCL was not assured but months of hard work & determination from the management team SCR eventually secured a place within the league constitution for the clubs 1st time in their 30 year history at the league AGM in June 2008.

The club also took the decision to take their reserve team into the CCL. Taking a place within the leagues Reserve Division under the joint guidance of Justin Salmon & Alex Avis.

2008 also saw the latest name change of the club, this time with the inclusion of 'Mole Valley' to form the new name Mole Valley SCR F.C. reflecting the area in which they played.

In 2009 the club was forced to yet another move from its shared ground in Mole Valley to its continuing tenancy at Cobham FC.

The 2008/9 season also saw a temporary end to the SCR Sunday side, although the Vets which had been formed the previous season was able to welcome an influx of players

The 2009/10 season saw the club win the Combined Counties League Division 1 and earn promotion to the Premier Division for the first time in the clubs history. The season also saw the side make its FA Vase debut, when winning 2-1 at Guildford City (although the side lost 1-0 at home to Beckenham Town the next round). The club also featured in its first ever county cup final, narrowly losing the Surrey Premier Cup Final to Sutton Utd Reserves 5-3 on penalties, after the match had finished 1-1 after extra time.

2010/11 again saw the club compete in the Combined Counties Premier Division, and make their debuts in both the FA Cup (a disappointing 5-0 loss to Chertsey Town) and in the Surrey Senior Cup (a 4-1 defeat against Egham Town) and another disappointing cup loss came in the FA Vase against Banstead Athletic (3-2).

On the league front the season was a success with the side consolidating in an excellent 8th spot, in their first season in the Premier Division, and reaching the semi final of the EL Records Premier Challenge Cup - where they turned in one of their worst performance of the season en route to a 2-1 extra time defeat against Wembley.

The reserves under James Cameron sealed a memorable season with a cup and league double.

Season 10/11 saw the creation of the Colts section for the first time in the clubs history, with three sides at U9 x2 and U8 competing in the Surrey Youth League.

2011/12, to date far and away the most disappointing season in our short Saturday Senior football history. The 1’s lost the sum total of 18 players and despite a frantic rebuilt, lost the first 14 competitive games of the season before a creditable run in the dying months was not sufficient to avoid the drop back to Division One and the reserves playing in the Suburban league finished below half way in the table but respectfully so given the step up in class under the joint guidance of Eric Howard and Luke Tuffs, both previously of Cove FC.

Season 12/13 was initially expected to be a period of stabilisation after the disappointment of relegation, and hardly exploded into action. Defeat in the FA Cup came at the hands of fellow CCL side Badshot Lea (4-1 in a replay, after a 1-1 draw), whilst there was a win in the FA Vase, 2-0 over Sussex Division 1 side Sidley Utd – before defeat against Frimley Green in the next round.

In October the signing of Phil Page boosted the side, but three successive defeats against South Kilburn, Frimley Green and Warlingham looked to have ended any promotion hopes, but a 20 game unbeaten run at the end of the season saw the side pip Westfield for runner’s up on the last day of the season.

The Surrey Premier Cup semi final was reached, but ended in defeat against Walton Casuals (managed by former Valley reserve team manager James Cameron) by 5-2 having seen a Walton equalise with the last kick of normal time.

The Reserves took their place in the Surrey Elite Reserve division, whilst the Vets continued in the Morden & District Vets division.

The growing Colts section reached 17 sides, and had outgrown its base at Stanley Park, meaning a new ground was required.

On the field though, the U10’s also picked up the first Colts silverware with Simon Harlands team winning the Invitation Cup.

Season 13/14 had high hopes of consolidation, but after a bright start – the now expected first game defeat in the FA Cup against Combined Counties opposition excepted (this time eventual league champions South Park) – thing fell away and at the turn of the season the side was fully in a relegation battle.

The introduction of new signings Gavin Dilley, Anson Cousins, Harry Smart and Michael Burton provided fresh impetus, but the team continued to hover around the relegation zone. The final game of the season saw goals from Burton 2, Page and Cousins give the side a 4-4 draw with Horley Town, securing the point that preserved their Premier Division status.

The Reserves had a similarly poor season, finishing second bottom of the Surrey Elite Reserve division. The newly formed SCR Sunday side, under the management of Tyler Chambers finished runners up in the Morden & District Division 4.

The Colts section reduced its numbers slightly, but moved to a new base at Hannibal Way in Wallington, and saw its first league title winners, with Graham Bayles U10 Arrows scooping the Division 1 award.

The 2014/15 season started brightly enough going four games unbeaten at the start of the league campaign, and recording our first ever FA Cup win, 3-2 at Sussex Division 1 side Chichester City.

However form was inconsistent over much of the season, and although at the turn of the year we were still well placed, a run of just two wins in 15 games left us on the brink of relegation.

A late season revival with seven points from 12, saw us finish just outside the relegation zone.

It was also announced that the 2014/15 season would see the end of the Mole Valley SCR name, and a re-naming to Sutton Common Rovers.

It was also announced, that the club would be leaving Cobham after six years and returning to the London Borough of Sutton, to take up a groundshare with National League South side Sutton Utd.

The Sunday senior side won the Morden & District Division 1, whilst the Vets reached the Barbara Short Trophy Final, only to lose on penalties (their second final loss in three seasons).

There was success for the Colts, with the U13 Reds winning their Super Division, and coming runners up in the Invitation Cup, whilst the U11 Reds finished runners up in their Super Division.

The U10 Reds were also runnners up in the Asia Cup.