Rovers picked up a what could be a vital point in the battle to avoid the drop when securing a 1-1 draw against play-off chasing Leatherhead on Bank Holiday Monday.

In what was a game of two halves, the visitors dominated much of the first half and will feel aggrieved to have gone in level at the break, having spurned several good chances, whilst Rovers had the better of the second half and will be left to rue Liam Holdens disallowed goal.

The visitors were out of the blocks quickly, and in only the third minute a tremendous cross by Jerry Puemo was met by a powerful header by Omarr Lawson, bringing a tremendous save low to his right out of James Dillon. Rovers first effort came on ten minutes, and a quick bit of thinking by Courtney Swaby almost saw him catch out Serine Sanneh, but his free kick clipped the top of the crossbar with the keeper frantically back-peddling.

Daniel Hector dragged an effort wide for Leatherhead on 13 minutes, having capitalised on overplaying in the heart of the Rovers midfield. Three minutes later, and in an attempt to capitalise on a poor first touch by Sanneh, Conan Torpey launched himself towards the ball, only to clatter Sanneh and end up with a yellow card.

Rovers skipper Tyler Cox saw an effort blocked by Benedict Frempah with Tobe Uzor firing the follow up over the crossbar. Hector did well on 24 minutes and saw his effort blocked by Bertie Lloyd and from the loose ball we scrambled the ball clear.

Leatherhead opened the scoring on 27 minutes, having done well to break up play, Siao Blackwood lost possession just outside our area and Hector raced through to fire beyond Dillon for 1-0. It was almost 2-0 a minute later, with Jamie Splatt breaking from distance and seeing his lobbed effort clear the Rovers bar.

Leatherhead continued to press and neat interplay between Puemo and Hector ended with Hector firing wide of the left hand post. Rovers levelled on 37 minutes, Uzor found Cox on the left, he set the ball back to Swaby and from his delivery a combination of Max Oldham and the Leatherhead defender forced the ball home for 1-1.

Five minutes before the break and Leatherhead were gifted a glorious chance by Rovers. Dallying on the ball Matt Tanton lost possession in the left back position and set Hector free, but he was unable to get his shot on target. Cox found his way into the book for a handball, although it did look a case of mistaken identity.

Alpha Diallo fired high over the bar as Leatherhead ended the half strongly, and a fizzed effort by Hector in stoppage time cannoned against the bar, with Puemo somehow putting his free header from the rebound over the bar.

We almost snatched the lead as time ran out, a great ball from Oldham saw Torpey sliding in at the back post, but he was just unable to divert the ball into the back of the net, and the sides went in level at the break.

Both sides had half chances early in the second half, without either keeper being troubled. Uzor headed wide just before the hour, having been picked out at the back post by a Swaby free kick.

Rovers were enjoying a bright period and on 65 minutes Danny Divine played a delightful ball down the side of Fikayo Atewologun, and into substitute Gabriel Odunaike but his effort on the stretch flew over the bar.

It looked as though Rovers had hit the front on 67 minutes, a great run by Oldham saw him get beyond Louis Collins and pick out Liam Holden at the back post, his cross into the turf looped over Sanneh and into the net, however the referee ruled out the strike for either offside or obstruction on the keeper. Despite the setback Rovers continued to press and Swaby curled an effort just wide of the right hand post.

Swaby hit the crossbar from an inswinging corner on 72 minutes and Antonio Simeone saw his effort blocked as Rovers were in the ascendancy.

However, with the outstanding Hector on the pitch Rovers were always kept on their toes and after a good run, the ball broke to Splatt who saw his low drilled effort saved by Dillon down to his right.

Hector then did superbly to get beyond Simeone again setting up Splatt but his effort was deflected behind for a corner. From the corner a huge scramble in the Rovers area saw bodies fly in to both block the effort and try to force the ball home.

Dillon picked up a back pass with just under ten minutes remaining, but the resultant free kick was blocked and Rovers survived.

Both sides had half chances towards the end, but the game petered out after an innocuos looking collison in the middle of the park left Splatt needing lengthy treatment.

The full time whistle went with both sides settling for a point, which realistically did neithers hopes of play offs or survival any good.