Rovers picked up an unlikely and what could be vital point on Saturday when two goals in the dying minutes secured a 2-2 draw in a temperamental encounter away at Westfield.

The hosts made a bright start and had Rovers on the back foot on the early exchanges, with the lively Florian Ada going close and seeing his shot blocked by Matt Tanton.

Rovers first shot came on ten minutes, a long ball forward by Antonio Simeone found Conan Torpey, but his lob cleared the crossbar.

The hosts continued to dominate, and it was no real surprise when they took the lead on 19 minutes, a long ball out of defence by Luke Elliott found Didi Ndombe, he skipped passed Danny Divine and his low cross was turned home from close range by Johnny Efedje.

We responded positively and a move on the left saw Tanton whip a dangerous delivery into the area, which a combination of Sonny Wheeler and Elliott cleared, from the loose ball Tyler Cox drilled in a low effort which Niran Butler turned behind for a corner.

Just after the half hour and Butler fired an effort high over the bar after Rovers had struggled to clear a corner. Westfield then missed a glorious chance to take a two goal lead into the break. Ada switched play to find Ndombe, he turned Divine inside and out before seeing his low drive well saved by Dillon and it was 1-0 to Westfield at the break.

It was a fairly tepid start to the second half, with no clue that one side was scrapping for its Isthmian survival, and it wasn’t until the 65th minute that there was a shot in anger, Ndombe squared to Efedje who fired high over the crossbar. Efedje then bought a good save out of Dillon low to his right.

Andrew Crossley and Ada linked up well on 66 minutes and the dangerous cross was well defended at the back post by the retreating Max Oldham. Rovers were now starting to finally gain a foothold in the game with a few deliveries into the area causing problems for the Westfield backline.

But again it was the visitors who had the next chance Ali Mansaray found Ndombe who skipped passed a couple of challenges only to be denied by a superb Bert Lloyd challenge. The same player then picked Tanton’s pocket but scrambling defence saw Rovers clear the danger.

With just over ten minutes remaining Westfield looked to have secured victory, a neat move on the left ended with a deep cross eluding everybody before being poked beyond Dillon by Tanton, as he attempted to clear away from Samir Baija. Minutes later and Ndombe fired a low effort against the base of our post.

With time running out, neat link up on the edge of the area between Odunaike and Holden ended with Holden getting the wrong side of Butler, with the Westfield defender hauling Holden to the floor. SCR’s leading appearance maker picked himself up to crash the spot kick beyond Wheeler.

Rovers sensed an unlikely point and threw people forward, and forced a chance as time ticked onto 90 minutes, Oldham skipped beyond Jude Mason, saw his low drive flicked on through Wheelers legs by Odunaike and as the ball rolled yards from the goal no Rovers player could apply the finishing touch.

With Rovers pushing forward Westfield had a chance to seal the win when substitute Theo White raced clear, only to be denied by a stunning last gasp tackle by Siao Blackwood. Dillon launched the ball forward for one last chance. Lloyd was bundled over giving Rovers a free kick 25 yards out. Oldham’s low free kick was poked goalwards by Holden, fumbled by Wheeler and smashed into the net by Nabeel Ghannam for 2-2.